MAYWOOD, N.J. — Maywood residents dropped off cash and gift card donations on Wednesday and Thursday for two families who were displaced by a house fire.
Since the two families have students who attend Maywood Avenue School, Superintendent of Schools Michael Jordan opened up the school’s gym to be used as a drop-off location for donations.
“It’s good to help out our neighbors,” said Anthony Panissidi, an eighth-grader at MAS who was at the donation table on Thursday. “If anything were to ever happen to us, I would want people to help us too.”
Residents were asked to drop off cash and gift cards for Target, ShopRite and Walmart.
Alex Newell, an eighth grader at MAS who was also at the table, estimated that more than $1,000 had been collected.
The district also assisted with providing clothing and phone chargers. A local resident provided shelter for one family while the other stayed with friends in a neighboring town.
The fire broke out on Poplar Avenue during the afternoon hours of Nov. 3. It was reported to have started on a bed on the third floor of the two-family house.
A homeowner who had hand burns and a firefighter with a shoulder injury were taken to Hackensack University Medical Center (SEE: Homeowner, Firefighter Injured In Maywood House Fire ).
“Please take the time to discuss the importance of fire prevention and safety with your children as unfortunately this fire was caused by an unattended candle,” Jordan said. “It is a blessing that no one was seriously hurt but this should again be a reminder that nothing is too insignificant to remind ourselves of.”
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.