The New Jersey Office of Emergency Management is offering the following tips for residents to prepare for cold weather this season.
Before Cold Weather Hits:
- Build an emergency kit
- Make a family communications plan
- Apply sand or salt to sidewalks
- Dress warmly
- Bring pets inside
During Cold Weather:
- Stay inside whenever possible
- Wear a hat and cover extremities when outdoors. Mittens are warmer than gloves.
- Cover your mouth with a scarf to protect your lungs
- Change into dry clothes after coming inside
- Beware of loss of feeling in fingers, toes, ears, etc.
- Symptoms of hypothermia include memory loss, trouble speaking and fatigue
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.