EDGEWATER, N.J. — Edgewater's Brownstone Pancake Factory is stacking 'em like they're hot. The River Road eatery has been featured on Food Network.
"We do things outside the box," Owner Bobby Bournias said.
Bournias stepped up in 2005 when his parents were considering selling the Jersey City-based place. It wasn't long before he opened the Edgewater location.
Brownstone has received attention for their unique pancake flavors. Many of the ideas originate from Bournias himself.
"I'm a foodie at heart. I love different flavors of food and I always play around with different stuff," Bournias said.
One of the more outlandish dishes is the Jersey Chicken Pancake, a pancake with bacon, cheddar and jalapenos baked inside with chicken fingers and sour cream on top.
It's not for everyone, but some can't get enough.
"For a lot of people that's a little too much, but there's definitely people that gravitate to that," Bournias said.
"We've become very popular because of those over-the-top flavors."
Daily Voice caught up with Bournias to hear some of the fan favorites:
- Old Fashioned Buttermilk — who can say no to a classic? Made with the same recipe for the last 48 years.
- Oreo Cookie Pancakes: Buttermilks baked with Oreo cookies inside and topped with Oreo cookies, vanilla ice cream, chocolate sauce and whipped cream
- PB&J — just like it sounds, a one-way ticket to childhood.
- Blueberry Bliss — blueberries baked inside AND on top with blueberry compote on the side.
- Salted Caramel Pretzel: Buttermilks baked with caramel & topped with caramel sauce, pretzels, salt, Nutella & two scoops of salted caramel ice cream
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.