ONLY ON CLIFFVIEW PILOT: A flash fire caused by a chemical used to remove the tint from sunglasses left a Fort Lee police officer with minor injuries and brought Bergen County hazardous materials responders to a Lemoine Avenue optometrist’s office.
Optometrist Jack Goldberg apparently was heating the neutralizer (also called lens bleach) in a lens-treating unit this afternoon when a vapor ignited, sparking a fire.
“He used a dry-chem extinguisher to put the fire out, and so you had a mixture of chemicals,” said Antony DiCandia, the Bergen County Health Department’s environmental coordinator.
DiCandia told CLIFFVIEW PILOT that a police officer and possibly one other person were apparently overcome by fumes.
The officer’s condition couldn’t be determined.
The initial report was of a chemical fire at 1562 Lemoine Avenue, next to a mini-shopping center.
Bergen County’s Hazardous Materials Unit responded immediately and discovered “it was more like someone had cooked something on a hot plate,” DiCandia told CLIFFVIEW PILOT.
“The chemical itself comes in one-quart bottles,” he said.
“They did some initial readings, then ventilated the area and did more readings after everything was cleaned up. Everything was fine after that,” DiCandia said.
SUPPORT Cliffview Pilot:
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.