Map Interactive local COVID-19 tracker
Contact Us
Fort Lee Daily Voice serves Fort Lee, Leonia & Palisades Park
Return to your home site


Fort Lee Daily Voice serves Fort Lee, Leonia & Palisades Park

Nearby Towns

Breaking News: SETUP: Robbery Victim Stripped, Beaten After Being Lured To Hasbrouck Heights Hotel
DV Pilot Police & Fire

Autistic Palisades Park Boy Pulled From Creek Returns Home To Cheers

Joseph waves to the crowd. Photo Credit: COURTESY: Charles Stark
Joseph's homecoming.
Joseph's homecoming. Video Credit: COURTESY: Charles Stark
Well-wishers Wednesday at Palisades Park Early Childhood Center. Photo Credit: COURTESY: Charles Stark
Joseph and mom, Angela Cassese. Photo Credit: COURTESY: Charles Stark

PALISADES PARK, N.J. -- An 8-year-old autistic boy from Palisades Park who was pulled from Overpeck Creek after he wandered off from his family in November returned home to cheers Wednesday.

Video captured Joseph Cassese being driven up to the Palisades Park Early Childhood Center -- with an escort from borough police off Route 46 and through town -- for a raucous homecoming.

Waiting were dozens of youngsters -- including Joseph's two sisters, ages 4 and 5, who attend the ECC.

Although Joseph doesn't speak, "his eyes and his face spoke so much," his mother, Angela, told Daily Voice. "He was just so glad to be back.

"He hugged his sisters, then hugged and high-fived the police officers."

"Thirty years of doing EMS and I was in tears," said volunteer firefighter Charles Stark, one of the rescuers.

Joseph had an angel on his shoulder that Nov. 11 day.

By chance, someone in a Ridgefield Park office building saw him go into the water and quickly dialed 911.

Responders from several departments were at the spot in Overpeck Park instantly, witnesses said. The caller then led them directly to Joseph.

Along with Stark were Palisades Park Police Lt. Matthew Finck, Sgt. Christopher Beck, Detective George Beck, Ridgefield Police Officer Daniel Berger and Leonia Police Officer John Longo.

They pulled Joseph from the water and conducted CPR.

The youngster was first taken to Holy Name Medical Center and later transported to St. Joseph's Regional Medical Center in Paterson, where he spent several weeks in ICU.

On Wednesday, he completed rehabilitation at Children's Specialized Hospital in New Brunswick and was released.

"He still needs a lot of out-patient therapy -- we're going to Holy Name for that," his mother said. "He had to come home with a feeding tube, so we need to get him eating again.

"But no one expected him to do this well, so we're thankful."

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Fort Lee Daily Voice!

Serves Fort Lee, Leonia & Palisades Park

Hi! You've read our articles so we know you like our reporting. To keep reading please join our mailing list.

Get important news about your town as it happens.