This column is a continuing series by Chef Peter X. Kelly of Xaviars Restaurant Group.
PIERMONT, N.Y. -- Thirty years is a very long time, and I am very fortunate to have built and maintained over all these years a reputation that I hope will last 30 more.
It is never easy to say goodbye to restaurants that have meant so much to so many and I am extraordinarily happy to have been a part of so many family celebrations. From tiny wedding ceremonies to intimate marriage proposals, graduation celebrations and 100 year birthday wishes, 30- course food and wine pairings and a visit for "just a glass of wine" all have been part of my Piermont legacy. There are two that I know of -- children which were conceived after a visit to Xaviars at Piermont that bear the name Xaviar. It makes me humble and proud.
In the near future I will turn over the Freelance Café and Xaviars at Piermont to a new owner whom I believe will continue on in the tradition we have established since 1987.
I will, in fact, stay on with the new owner in a consultancy role to assure a smooth transition. The new owner will inherit the long term staff that has made these restaurants special over these many years. This team was trained by me and I am certain they will continue to over achieve as they always have.
My two restaurants, Restaurant X and Bully Boy Bar in Congers and X2O Xaviars on the Hudson will continue to offer all of my efforts to cater to a clientele that has been exceptionally loyal to me. The consolidation of my operations will allow to me spend more time with our guests rather than less because it’s just easier to get to two restaurants rather than four.
Through the years:
- Xaviars at Piermont becomes the first and only restaurant north of Manhattan to receive The New York Times highest rating of “Extraordinary.”
- Xaviars at Piermont becomes the first restaurant in the nation to receive a “29” (out of 30 perfect) rating from Zagat Survey.
- Xaviars at Piermont Is featured in Nation's Restaurant News as one of the premier restaurants in the country.
- Xaviars at Piermont is ranked one of the top 10 restaurants in the country by AOL.
- Peter X Kelly is named "Restaurateur of the Year" by New York State
- Freelance Café ushers in a new style of dining, “casual fine dining.”
- Freelance Café pioneers the concept of “fine dining at the bar.”
- Freelance Café is recognized as one of the top restaurants in the tristate area by media outlets Westchester Magazine, The Journal News, Esquire Magazine, The New York Times, Zagat, Hudson Valley Magazine, Wall Street Journal, Bergen Record, Greenwich Magazine and 201.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.