FAIR LAWN, N.J. — Caryn Starr-Gates of Fair Lawn has retired her apron as a sous chef but still likes to get creative in the kitchen.
She made up this "super easy" recipe for matzoh lasagna.
What you'll need:
- Matzoh (four pieces)
- Eggplant (sliced thinly, sweated before using)
- Chopped spinach
- Chopped mushrooms
- Ricotta cheese – thin down w/ some milk for spreading; season with salt, white pepper, dried basil and/or oregano
- Salt and pepper, dried herbs to season
- Marinara sauce
- Put marinara sauce (thin layer) in bottom of the baking dish and lay matzohs on top.
- Smear layer of ricotta cheese on the matzoh.
- Top ricotta with chopped fresh spinach and chopped mushrooms (or grated carrots if preferred)
- Add more sauce; layer the eggplant slices on that
- Top with more ricotta, then top all with two more pieces of matzoh.
- Marinara on top
- Bake at 350 degrees.
- Can add grated mozzarella if desired.
Click here to follow Daily Voice Fair Lawn-Glen Rock and receive free news updates.