Man charged in brutal Englewood stabbing held on $500,000 bail

ANOTHER PILOT SCOOP: An Englewood man charged in a brutal stabbing at a city takeout restaurant was processed at police headquarters and taken to the Bergen County Jail on $500,000 cash bail after waiving extradition in the Bronx this morning.

Photo Credit: Englewood PD

Marque Edwards is charged with first-degree attempted murder in the June 7 stabbing, which nearly cost ex-convict Sule Imo Ouhuru his life.

Edwards seemed “clearly tired of running” when nearly two dozen detectives descended on a small, first-floor apartment in the Bronx and arrested him on June 22, Englewood Detective Capt. Tim Torell told CLIFFVIEW PILOT at the time. “He provided us with useful information from the stabbing.”

Detectives from Teaneck helped their Englewood colleagues track Edwards to an apartment on East 169th Street where he’d rented a room, Torell said.

Englewood detectives were joined by investigators from Englewood, the Bergen County prosecutor’s and sheriff’s offices and the NYPD, as well as and U.S. marshals, in cornering him.

The apartment tenants let in the officers, who found Edwards “playing possum,” making believe he was sleeping, the captain said.

New York City police immediately booked him on a charge of being a fugitive from justice. A judge then ordered Edwards held without bail pending his extradition to New Jersey.

Edwards is charged with stabbing the 35-year-old Ouhuru (inset, above), apparently in retaliation for an incident in which police said Ouhuru fired shots at his ex-girlfriend’s home with a stolen rifle, nearly striking their daughter’s crib.

Edwards had begun dating the woman, they said.

Police found Ouhuru on the floor of the other side of the takeout counter at Jade Lee Kitchen, bleeding heavily from several stab wounds “in many different areas of his body,” Torell said.

“It was one of the worst stabbings I’ve ever seen where the person survived,” the captain said at the time. City police even notified the Bergen County Prosecutor’s Office that they could have a possible homicide on their hands.

Four employees were the only others in the restaurant in the city’s west side shopping district. A woman Ouhuru was with was waiting outside in his car, he said. Edwards “either passed by and saw him or knew he was there,” the captain told CLIFFVIEW PILOT.

At first, Edwards forced his way into Ouhuru’s car, thinking his target was inside, Torell said. When he realized it wasn’t him, Edwards “left the woman unharmed and ran over to the restaurant,” the captain said.

As the horrified staff looked on, “Edwards began viciously stabbing Ouhuru,” Torell said.

“Edwards then ran out of the store and into a waiting vehicle with several other occupants in it,” he said. “It then fled from the area.”

Several area surveillance cameras captured the getaway, the captain said.

Englewood police in February said Ouhuru held the woman against her will, fired the shots with a .45-caliber carbine, then took off in her car. A manhunt ended nearly three months later, when he turned himself in to police.

The woman, who has two children with Ouhuru, lives in the Rock Creek complex in the city’s 2nd Ward.

Ouhuru, who initially was in critical but stable condition at Englewood Medical Center, is recovering from his injuries, Torell said.

“A lot of credit should go to a female companion of his, along with the responding patrol officers and medics,” the captain said. “They were able to slow the bleeding down just enough to be able to get him into the hospital and rushed into surgery with a chance of survival.

“It was that serious.”

PHOTOS: Englewood PD

to follow Daily Voice Englewood and receive free news updates.