BERGENFIELD, N.J. -- The Bergenfield Police Department has become the first in the United States to offer a mobile safety app.
The app -- which previously was offered only by colleges and universities -- "will allow residents hand held access to the police department, as well as safety tools and disaster tips -- to name a few of the features," Police Chief Cathy Madalone said.
"The best feature of all is that it is free of cost to anyone who would like to download the app onto their android or apple devices," she said.
AppArmor created the custom mobile safety app, which has features that include:
- Reporting tips to police;
- "Friend walk" GPS that allows friends to track each other as they travel across town to ensure that they reach their destinations safely;
- Bergenfield police program and contacts information;
- Unlimited geo-located mass notifications to reach users even when the app isn’t running;
- Interactive Bergenfield crime mapping;
- Offline-ready emergency plans;
- Permit applications and information
It's available on the Apps Store and Google Play.
Click here to follow Daily Voice Bergenfield and receive free news updates.