A heartbreaking Christmas night gas can explosion that left a South Jersey dad with severe burns and a long road to recovery has prompted a massive wave of support from the local community.
Nicole Smith, of Hammonton, was sitting on the couch with family on Christmas evening when she heard a loud ‘boom’ after her husband, James, went outside to make a fire, according to a GoFundMe launched for the family.
“I thought it was a gunshot,” Smith writes. “Then, my dad starts screaming, ‘James is on fire.’”
James was airlifted to Temple Burn Center, where Smith says he faces a “very long recovery” and burned more than 80 percent of his body.
Meanwhile, the family has no medical insurance and is dealing with travel expenses and care for their one-year-old daughter, Smith says.
The campaign had raised a staggering $14,700 in just three days.
“We appreciate anything and we really need prayers, All Of Them,” Smith writes. Thank You.”
Click here to view/donate to ‘James’ Journey To Healing’ on GoFundMe.
Click here to follow Daily Voice Atlantic and receive free news updates.