Contact Us
Wilton Daily Voice serves Wilton, CT
Return to your home site


Wilton Daily Voice serves Wilton, CT

Nearby Towns

Police & Fire

Cops: Wilton Dad Assaulted Assistant Soccer Coach From Fairfield After Game

Sherman Eagan
Sherman Eagan Photo Credit: Wilton Police Department

WILTON, Conn. — The father of a Wilton High soccer player was arrested after he attacked the Fairfield Ludlowe assistant coach after a game Wednesday with an on-field altercation among players, police said. 

Sherman Eagan, 47, of Wilton, was charged with third-degree assault, third-degree strangulation, second-degree unlawful restraint and second-degree breach of peace, police said. 

Eagan was arrested at his home in Wilton after an altercation in the high school parking lot after the girls soccer game between Wilton and Ludlowe.

During the game Wednesday afternoon, Eagan’s daughter was involved in an altercation on the soccer field with a player from Ludlowe, police said.

The incident was broken up by the Ludlowe coaches, police said. 

After the game, Eagan confronted the victim in the parking lot, police said. He yelled at the assistant coach and accused him of assaulting his daughter during the game, police said.

According to witnesses and the victim, Eagan then choked the victim and struck him in the chest, police said. 

Eagan was then pulled off the victim by other coaches and parents, then left the scene in his vehicle, police said. 

He was arrested a short while later at his home after refusing to go to the police department to speak to the investigating officers, police said.

The victim was transported to Norwalk Hospital for treatment of minor injuries, police said.

Eagan was released on $1,000 bond for an appearance in Norwalk Superior Court on Nov. 6 at 10 a.m.

Three players were ejected from the game after the on-field altercation, according to the Connecticut Post.

It began when Wilton’s Paisley Eagan and Ludlowe’s McKenna Forrest were chasing down a ball and fell in front of the Ludlowe bench, the Post said. They began shoving then punching each other, the Connecticut Post said, with Wilton's Lindsay Groves joining the fray.

Groves and Eagan were issued red cards, and Forrest was shown a red card, the Post said.

Wilton won the game, 3-0, and qualified for the last spot in the FCIAC tournament.

Click here for the story at the Connecticut Post.

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Wilton Daily Voice!

Hi! You've read our articles so we know you like our reporting. To keep reading please join our mailing list.

Get important news about your town as it happens.