Map Interactive local COVID-19 tracker
Contact Us
Stratford Daily Voice serves Stratford, CT
Return to your home site


Stratford Daily Voice serves Stratford, CT

Nearby Towns

Police & Fire

Missing Suspect's Body Found Inside Explosion Site, Nine Officers Injured

Emergency response vehicles line the street where an hours-long stand-off was taking place. Photo Credit: Debby Booze-Gugliuzza
A standoff and explosion injured eight police officers in North Haven. Photo Credit: Google Maps

The body of a man who held police at bay for hours has been found inside the barn where a huge explosion took place, injuring nine police officers, said the Connecticut State Police.

The event unfolded around 2:30 p.m. Wednesday when a woman contacted North Haven police saying she had been held hostage for several days at her Quinnipiac Avenue home by her estranged husband, police said.

According to Trooper Kelly Grant, a regional tactical team, consisting of North Haven police officers and police officers from surrounding towns, responded to the scene and attempted to enter the residence and make contact with the suspect. 

As tactical team members were attempting to enter the residence, a large explosion occurred. As a result of the explosion, nine police officers from the tactical team were injured, Grant said.

 The injured tactical team officers were transported to Yale-New Haven Hospital for the evaluation of non-life-threatening injuries. The Connecticut State Police Tactical Unit responded to the scene and assumed tactical response duties.

Once the fire was extinguished by the North Haven Fire Department, detectives searched the fire scene and located the remains of one person, she said.

The Office of the Chief Medical Examiner will conduct a post-mortem examination to determine the identity of the deceased, and cause and manner of death. The identity of the deceased is pending identification and next of kin notification.

The Connecticut State Police Bomb Squad and New Haven Police Department Bomb Squad also responded to the scene to assist with the investigation.

During the barricaded suspect investigation and subsequent explosion, residents were asked to shelter in place. The shelter in place has since been lifted, however, residents are asked to remain vigilant.

The investigation remains active.

Check back to Daily Voice for updates.

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Stratford Daily Voice!

Hi! You've read our articles so we know you like our reporting. To keep reading please join our mailing list.

Get important news about your town as it happens.