Contact Us
Stamford Daily Voice serves Stamford, CT
Return to your home site


Stamford Daily Voice serves Stamford, CT

Nearby Towns

Police & Fire

Teen Arrested In 'Vicious' Group Attack After Stamford High Game

Malik Claiborne, 19, of Stamford, is charged with second-degree assault and conspiracy in an attack on two students from Norwalk after a basketball game in Stamford. Photo Credit: Stamford Police Department
Stamford Police Sgt. Diedrich Hohn Photo Credit: Frank MacEachern, File

STAMFORD, Conn. — One man has been arrested and more were being sought in connection with a "vicious" attack on two Norwalk teens after a Stamford High School basketball game on Friday, Stamford police said Monday.

Two Norwalk youths who attend Brien McMahon High School were attacked in the parking lot at Stamford High at about 9 p.m. after a game between the two schools, Stamford Police Sgt. Diedrich Hohn said in a statement Monday.

A group of 15 to 20 males followed the two Norwalk teens to their car after the game, Hohn said. They were confronted and asked whether they were from Norwalk, he said. When they said yes, both "were viciously attacked by the mob," Hohn said. "Both victims were punched and kicked repeatedly." 

One victim was stabbed on the right side of his chest, and the other sustained a serious dental injury, he said, with both also suffering many cuts and bruises. 

"They immediately left and sought medical attention at Norwalk Hospital," Hohn said. 

The Norwalk Police Department contacted the Stamford Police Department to report that the two assault victims were being treated for injuries at Norwalk Hospital, he said.

The Stamford Police Department Detective Bureau, along with the Stamford High School resource officers, began to investigate. 

They quickly identified the main aggressor in the attack as 19-year-old Malik Claiborne, and he was positively identified as one of the attackers, Hohn said. 

Stamford Police detectives coordinated with prosecutors from the Stamford Superior Court and an arrest warrant was granted on charges of second-degree assault and conspiracy.

On Monday, Jan. 18, Claiborne was apprehended at his home and arrested. Bond was set at $25,000.

"This is an unfortunate incident that occurred in the Stamford community, and the Stamford Police Department used, and is currently using, every resource to identify and arrest the perpetrators involved," Hohn said. "Every student from other communities should feel safe to come to sporting events in the city, and the Stamford Police Department wants it to be known that this type of behavior is unacceptable and will not be tolerated." 

The investigation into the attack is ongoing, and more arrests were expected, he said. 

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Stamford Daily Voice!

Hi! You've read our articles so we know you like our reporting. To keep reading please join our mailing list.

Get important news about your town as it happens.