Contact Us
Stamford Daily Voice serves Stamford, CT
Return to your home site


Stamford Daily Voice serves Stamford, CT

Nearby Towns

Police & Fire

Standoff Ends With K-9 Dogs, SWAT Members, Flash-Bang Grenades In Stamford

Nicholas Miter, 38
Nicholas Miter, 38 Photo Credit: Stamford Police Department

A call to Stamford police from a frightened wife in March led to an hours-long standoff with her husband at their Springdale home on Tuesday, complete with SWAT members, K-9 dogs, and flash-bang grenades.

The incident began with the March call when the woman said her husband, Nicholas Miter, 38, had threatened to cut her throat in front of their child if she opened the door to knocking police who were investigating a hit-and-run accident, said Stamford Police Sgt. Sean Boeger.

Following the threat, officers worked to obtain a warrant for Miter's arrest but when they went to serve the warrant he had left the state to receive treatment, Boeger said.

Recently, the wife called the police again to let them know that Miter had not received the required treatment and was making threats again and had barricaded himself inside the home, he added.

"The wife and child had left the home and Miter was inside, refusing to come out," Boeger said.

That's when Boeger knocked on the door and tried to get Miter to come outside and talk about his issues, he said.

When he refused, back-up was called, and because Boeger knew they were dealing with an "emotionally-disturbed" high-risk person, about 30 police officers responded about 6:45 p.m. Tuesday, including SRT, SWAT, K-9, and others.

Boeger said hostage negotiators were unable to get Miter to surrender and at least two exploding flash-bang grenades were thrown into the Birchwood Road home, but they were unsuccessful in bringing Miter outside.

"That's when SRT breached the home and we sent in a K-9 dog who found Miter in a bedroom and alerted to his location twice," he said.

The threat of sending the dog back inside and being bitten is what finally drew Miter out where he was arrested and charged with threatening and interfering with police after more two-and-half hours, Boeger said.

Boeger said Miter was not armed. After the incident, he complained of chest pains and was taken to the hospital where he was given a clean bill of health. He was then transported back to the police station.

Miter is being held $100,000 bond.

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Stamford Daily Voice!

Get the news you need to know on the go.

Welcome to

Stamford Daily Voice!

Hi! You've read our articles so we know you like our reporting. To keep reading please join our mailing list.

Get important news about your town as it happens.