Map Interactive local COVID-19 tracker
Contact Us
Stamford Daily Voice serves Stamford, CT
Return to your home site


Stamford Daily Voice serves Stamford, CT

Nearby Towns

Police & Fire

Stamford Man Dies In Bizarre Accident After Police Arrive At His Home

Stamford Police Lt. Diedrich Hohn
Stamford Police Lt. Diedrich Hohn Photo Credit: File

STAMFORD, Conn., -- Norwalk Police have added some details to the strange story of a North Stamford man who died in his home after trying to hide from police who arrived there early Wednesday to arrest him.

Peter Cebo, 57, was found unconscious in his basement shortly after Stamford and Norwalk police arrived at his home at 3090 High Ridge Road around 1 a.m. Norwalk Police were at the home to arrest Cebo. Police believe that he had a heart attack after falling and striking his head on gym equipment in his darkened basement. Stamford Police Lt. Diedrich Hohn said the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner has said that Cebo had significant heart-related issues and said his death was due to the accident. Emergency Medical Service personnel arrived and he was pronounced dead.

Norwalk Police said they were called a Seaview Avenue home around 11:38 p.m. on Tuesday to respond to a threatening complaint. The resident told police he saw Cebo - the ex-husband of the woman - he was dating standing in the driveway. Cebo allegedly told the victim to “lose her number” and then tapped the victim on the head with a baseball bat. Cebo then warned that if he didn’t, he would be back. Cebo then walked away from the scene. 

Just under one hour later, Norwalk Police accompanied by Stamford Police, arrived at Cebo's home. When police arrived Cebo told his ex-wife, who also lived at the residence, he was going to hide, Hohn said.

Police were allowed into the home and during a search of the four bedroom, 4,100 square foot home that is only about a quarter mile from the New York State line, they found Cebo unconscious in the basement, Hohn said.

"We are deeming this as an accident," Hohn said. "There was no sign of foul play or suicide."

There were other family members present in the home, Hohn said.

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Stamford Daily Voice!

Hi! You've read our articles so we know you like our reporting. To keep reading please join our mailing list.

Get important news about your town as it happens.