STAMFORD, Conn. — Emergency Medical Technicians from the Stamford Fire Department saved a young man from an overdose with the use of Naloxone, or Narcan, the department said in a statement Saturday.
It was the first time first responders in Stamford had used Narcan, which has been carried on all Stamford Fire Apparatus for just over two weeks, said a website post by Fire Capt. Philip Hayes.
Narcan works to block the effects of opioids, such as heroin and narcotic pain killers, and can reverse the effects of an overdose, said Hayes.
A Stamford Fire Department Engine and Stamford EMS Medic Unit were dispatched Friday night to help a young male adult who had reportedly overdosed on an unknown narcotic, Hayes said.
When first responders arrived, he was unconscious and not breathing.
Fire Department EMTs performed lifesaving artificial respirations and administered a dose of Narcan, he said. Within a few minutes the patient started to breathe on his own and regain consciousness.
The Stamford EMS Medic unit arrived on the scene and continued to administer life-saving care.
Luckily for the patient, a friend of his had called 911 when he passed out, Hayes said. The quick response of Stamford’s Fire and EMS services, along with the use of the new intervention — Narcan — helped to save the patient's life, Hayes said.
The patient's name, and the date and time of the incident as well as location were not released by the Stamford Fire Department due to privacy issues.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.