Map Interactive local COVID-19 tracker
Contact Us
Stamford Daily Voice serves Stamford, CT
Return to your home site


Stamford Daily Voice serves Stamford, CT

Nearby Towns


Stamford Woman Remembers Her Slain Mother As Positive, Peaceful

A daughter of Maxine Gooden returns to Lione Park in Stamford on Tuesday. On Monday night, she was at the park with her mother, who was fatally shot. Photo Credit: Jay Polansky
Stamford Police Chief Jon Fontneay, at left in black shirt, talks with Maxine Gooden's daughter, Danielle, who is obscured by a car. Gooden was shot to death after 10 p.m in Stamford in front of family and friends including Danielle. Photo Credit: Jay Polansky

STAMFORD, Conn. -- A daughter of the woman shot to death at Lione Park in Stamford said her mother was peaceful and always got along well with everyone.

"She didn't bother anybody," said Maxine Gooden's daughter Danielle. "She was always positive. She never argued with anybody. She was the best with everybody." 

Danielle Gooden made her comments Tuesday in the same parking lot where she had seen her mother shot just after 10 p.m. Monday. Danielle, 22, one of Gooden's five children, was only a few feet away from her mother when the shooting occurred.

"She was standing right there. Everybody was having a good time," Danielle Gooden said, pointing to the area in the parking lot where they were gathered with friends. "All of the sudden, four bullets fly and one bullet hit her and she fell to the ground."

Danielle Gooden was standing only about a yard away from her mother when the shooting occurred. She didn't see the shooters.

Maxine Gooden was shot in the abdomen in front of a crowd of people gathered to enjoy a mild autumn night shortly after 10 p.m. At least one of the bullets struck a residence at 70 Merrell Ave., adjacent to Lione Park.

Stamford police said two men walked up to Gooden and shot her in what police believe was a targeted attack. The two men fled the scene by running up nearby Delaware Avenue, where a Jeep with a driver was waiting for them, police said. Two witnesses chased the suspects, got the Jeep's license plate number and called police. 

Police Officer Nicole Petrenko spotted the vehicle, notified the dispatch center and followed it until other officers could arrive. 

Within minutes, police had boxed in the Jeep on Strawberry Hill Avenue near the Tully Center and arrested the three men inside at gunpoint. Capt. Richard Conklin praised Petrenko for her actions.

Three arrests have been made: Jhonel Telemin, 21, was charged with first-degree murder, and Deshawn Hayes, 24, and Morris Joel Moore Jr., 23, were charged with conspiracy to murder, police said.

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Stamford Daily Voice!

Hi! You've read our articles so we know you like our reporting. To keep reading please join our mailing list.

Get important news about your town as it happens.