Since September, he has been donating a percentage of the proceeds from surgeries he performs that are related to breast cancer to charity organization Susan G. Komen Southern New England. He will continue to do so until the end of October.
"Each year, I am proud to make a donation, in honor of my patients, and to celebrate Breast Cancer Awareness Month in October," said Melendez. "I always choose this charity because they are dedicated to fighting breast cancer locally.
"It is important to note that Connecticut is the state with the highest incidence of breast cancer in the United States, according to the National Cancer Institute. We have a great deal of work to do."
Susan G. Komen Southern New England is dedicated to helping women and men who have been diagnosed with breast cancer.
While 75 percent of the funds the organization raises remain in Connecticut -- and are used for local breast cancer education, screening and treatment programs -- the remaining 25 percent of the funds are invested in research to find the causes and the cures for breast cancer, according to a press release from Susan G. Komen Southern New England.
Melendez is a proud member of the organization's Board of Directors. Visit www.komenct.org for additional information about Susan G. Komen Southern New England.
Melendez is a dedicated and gifted surgeon, who performs a full spectrum of surgical procedures for the face, hand, breast and body, along with facial rejuvenation (BOTOX and fillers).
He is also a Johns Hopkins fellowship-trained microvascular surgeon who performs reconstruction surgery for breast cancer patients, including the DIEP flap procedure (using the patient's own tissue) and breast implant surgery.
Additionally, Melendez has performed volunteer surgery on uninsured patients in Connecticut and on patients during several international medical missions to Vietnam and Ecuador.
He was named a "Hometown Hero" by News 12 Connecticut in 2015.
His central office phone number is (203) 935-8160. Additional information about his practice is available at www.markmelendezmd.com.
Click here to follow Daily Voice Shelton and receive free news updates.