Athletes from Stamford, New Canaan and Bridgeport are among the 9-member delegation on the U.S. team.
“We are honored to have a group of internationally recognized athletes who call Connecticut their home and will represent our state and our nation in one of the most prominent sporting events in the world,” Governor Malloy said. “We wish all of the Team USA athletes the best in this year’s Olympic Games, but in particular you can guarantee that there will be a strong contingent of us back home in Connecticut cheering for our hometown stars.”
The Governor and Lt. Governor also expressed their best wishes to Team USA Women’s Basketball head coach Coach Geno Auriemma and several Huskies, who will be competing on the U.S. Olympic women’s basketball team.
Members of the U.S. Olympic team who are from Connecticut include:
- Andrew Campbell, Jr. – Rowing (New Canaan)
- Charlie Cole – Rowing (New Canaan)
- Thomas Dunstan – Water Polo (New Canaan)
- Charles Wyles -- Rugby (Stamford)
- Alyssa Naeher -- Soccer (Seymour/Bridgeport)
- Donn Cabral – Track and Field (Glastonbury)
- Austin Hack – Rowing (Old Lyme)
- Michael Hartfield – Track and Field (Manchester)
- Devin McEwan – Canoe/Kayak (Salisbury)
This list was compiled by the U.S. Olympic Committee and is based on the athletes’ hometowns, not their current residence.
Click here to follow Daily Voice New Canaan and receive free news updates.