NEW CANAAN, Conn. -- A fire in the kitchen of a New Canaan home was started when cats accidentally turned on a propane stove Wednesday morning, according to the New Canaan Advertiser.
New Canaan firefighters responded to the home on Hoyt Street just after 6 a.m. Wednesday on a report of a structure fire, the New Canaan Advertiser reported. When they arrived, they found light smoke coming from a fire on a kitchen wall, fire officials told the New Canaan Advertiser.
Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire and checked for hot spots. All the occupants were out of the house, and were treated for minor smoke inhalation by the New Canaan Volunteer Ambulance Corps, according to the New Canaan Advertiser.
Fire Marshal Fred Baker told the New Canaan Advertiser that the fire appeared to have started when the cats climbed on the propane kitchen stove and accidentally turned it on. The stove had combustibles on or near it, Baker told the New Canaan Advertiser.
Baker added that there were no working smoke detectors in the home and that the residents were very lucky. He stressed the importance of installing smoke and CO detectors and making sure they're working, the New Canaan Advertiser reported.
Click here to read the New Canaan Advertiser story.
Click here to follow Daily Voice New Canaan and receive free news updates.