Photography and glasswork, video and sound, drawing and collage, and painting and sculpture are a few of the disciplines that inform each other in this new exhibition, which will be on view through Feb. 15.
Criteria for new Silvermine Guild of Artists members include excellence of technique; cultural or social relevance, clarity and continuity of style, and professional accomplishment. These artists have exhibited their work regionally and nationally, some internationally:
- Moshe Bursuker is drawn to photography and blown glass and often explores the relationship between the two.
- Robert Calafiore received his master of fine arts degree in photography from the State University of New York at Buffalo and his bachelor of fine arts degree in photography from Hartford Art School.
- Susan Cox, a painter and sculptor, is a Columbia-educated architect who has shifted her focus to smaller objects that evoke larger structures and landscapes, real or imagined.
- Visual artist Edhu Nascimento works in photography and painting “with occasional wanderings into other media.” He and artist Cris Xavier have collaborated on the “Windows” series in which they worked separately (with separate cameras) and then edited images together, allowing each of their sensibilities to contribute to the final work.
- Painter Kyoshi Otsuka explores nature in an abstract arena.
- Gina Piccirilli-Hayden’s textured and life-like ceramics often take their titles from Greek mythology.
- Ronnie Rysz uses a variety of methods and materials to achieve a distinct style somewhere between futurism, pop and graffiti art.
- Artist Michele Shibley is drawn to the human experience of sound.
- Painter Dora Tomulic explores--in vibrant color--patterns of movement and dynamic systems of chaos.
- Joan Zagrobelny’s ceramic sculpture is layered, rubbed and abraded, each stage of the making revealing itself.
Silvermine Arts Center is one of the oldest artist communities in the United States with its five-acre campus in New Canaan.
Silvermine Galleries are open Wednesdays through Saturdays from noon to 5 p.m. and Sundays from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. For more information, call 203-966-9700 ext. 20 or visit the website: www.silvermineart.org.
Click here to follow Daily Voice New Canaan and receive free news updates.