Contact Us
Fairfield Daily Voice serves Fairfield & Southport
Return to your home site


Fairfield Daily Voice serves Fairfield & Southport

Nearby Sites

Breaking News: Fairfield County Man Killed In I-91 Crash
Police & Fire

Man Fatally Shot By Fairfield Police In Domestic Violence Incident

Police on scene of a shooting on Mountain Laurel Road in Fairfield.
Police on scene of a shooting on Mountain Laurel Road in Fairfield. Photo Credit: Meredith Guinness

FAIRFIELD, Conn. -- A man was shot and killed by police during a confrontation on Mountain Laurel Road in Fairfield Tuesday morning, police said.

The man's wife and three children were also taken to nearby hospitals with stabbing and blunt force wounds, according to police. Police have not yet released the identity of the man.

Police were called to the scene around 6 a.m. Tuesday after receiving a 911 call from a woman reporting a violent domestic assault, according to Lt. James Perez of the Fairfield Police Department. When officers arrived at the home, the man confronted them outside holding something in his hand, Perez said. Perez did not identify what the item was, but said that it was not a gun.

Officers told the man to stand down, and he refused to comply, Perez said. One officer fired at the man, killing him, Perez said.

Police discovered the man's wife and three children, who were 12, 13, and 15 years old. All three had injuries. The wife was taken to Bridgeport Hospital, where she was listed in critical condition. The three children were all taken to St. Vincent's Hospital, with the youngest later being taken to Yale-New Haven Hospital, Perez said.

Perez said that the family does not own the house. He said that they have not had a history of domestic violence in Fairfield.

The officer who shot the man has not yet been identified. He was not injured, but was taken to the hospital to be checked out.

Perez said he shot at a suspect at Boston Billiards about 15 years ago. He said that when an officer uses their weapon against a suspect, they get a sort of tunnel vision and "things start to slow down."

"It's surreal, because you know it's happening but you can't believe it's happening," Perez said.

The Connecticut State Police Major Crimes Unit and the Stamford States Attorney's Office will assist in the investigation. Fairfield police said that there is no threat to the public and that the scene is secure.

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.