Contact Us
Fairfield Daily Voice serves Fairfield & Southport
Return to your home site


Fairfield Daily Voice serves Fairfield & Southport

Nearby Towns

Breaking News: Missing New Canaan Mom Investigation Update: Police Conclude Search Of Trash Facility
Police & Fire

Local Man Being Held At Bridgeport Correctional After Stolen Car Chase

Bridgeport Correctional Center.
Bridgeport Correctional Center. Photo Credit: Google Maps

The local man who was nabbed at the Stamford train station after a high-speed chase on I-95 is now being held at Bridgeport Correctional Facility.

Bridgeport resident Nelson Perez was charged with engaging police in pursuit, reckless driving, failure to wear a seatbelt, unregistered operation of a motor vehicle, sale of narcotics, possession of more than a half ounce of marijuana, criminal mischief and reckless endangerment.

Perez is being held in lieu of $150,000 bond and has been transported to the Bridgeport Correctional Center.

Perez is due back in Bridgeport Superior Court on Monday, July 9 to answer the charges.

In an attempt to evade police, the man, who was allegedly driving drunk, struck two Connecticut State Police cruisers - including one with a canine inside - before disabling his car in Stamford and fleeing.

Troopers on patrol from Bridgeport who were on a Fourth of July detail looking for distracted or impaired drivers on I-95 at approximately 1:10 a.m. on July 6 attempted to stop a motorist in a Nissan Maxima for not wearing a seatbelt.

When troopers attempted to stop the driver, the motorist sped away, intentionally striking two cruisers, including a canine unit that was responding to the scene. No injuries were reported.

According to State Police investigators, shortly after striking the cruisers, the Nissan became disabled, and the operator - later identified as Perez - left the vehicle behind and fled on foot across the southbound and northbound lanes of I-95, into Stamford in an attempt to avoid apprehension.

Hours later, at approximately 6 a.m., a security guard at the Stamford Train Station notified troopers that a person matching the description of the 28-year-old Perez was inside the station. State, local and MTA police responded to the station, and Perez was taken into custody.

Perez was arrested at the scene.

Click here for Daily Voice's previous report on the chase.

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Fairfield Daily Voice!

Serves Fairfield & Southport

Get the news you need to know on the go.

Welcome to

Fairfield Daily Voice!

Serves Fairfield & Southport

Hi! You've read our articles so we know you like our reporting. To keep reading please join our mailing list.

Get important news about your town as it happens.