A man and woman found dead inside a Stamford home have been identified by police.
Peter Mihalopoulos, 80, and Anna Mihalopoulos, 83, were found on Monday, Jan. 27, sitting dead in two chairs in the living room of their Long Ridge Road home by their son-in-law, said Stamford Police Capt. Richard Conklin.
Police said the couple died from carbon monoxide poisoning and that a 2016 Ford Explorer was found in an attached garage with the lights on, but the vehicle had run out of gas.
Conklin said the couple was very active and involved with their church so family members were not too worried when they did not answer phone calls on Sunday.
The son-in-law arrived around 9 a.m., Monday, to handle some "handyman" work at the home where the couple had lived for 45 years, and to take them to medical appointments, Conklin said.
When the couple did not answer the front door, the son-in-law went around back and used a key to get inside the home.
Unable to get anyone to answer the front door, he went around the back and used a key to open the rear door.
"They were very vibrant and well thought of in the community," Conklin said. "It's such a tragedy."
An official cause of death has not been announced by the medical examiner's office.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.