FAIRFIELD, Conn. -- Ethan Kostbar, who grew up in Israel and now works as the chef at Armonk's Moderne Barn , said he knows latkes are traditionally served with sour cream and fruit preserves. However, he enjoys making them with salmon gravlox for a modern twist.
"My family and I love to eat fish so this is a perfect twist to one of our favorite Hannukah staples," he said.
The Fairfield resident makes these often for parties at the restaurant as they make a great passed hors’ d’oeuvres; you can find them on Moderne Barn's menu as a special for the holiday.
- 4 Yukon Gold potatoes (peeled, grated)
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 cup AP Flour
- Peel and grate potatoes.
- Mix shredded potatoes, egg yolks, and flour in bowl.
- Season with salt.
- In a sauté pan over medium heat, drop a heaping tablespoonful of the mixture in a ¼ cup of blended oil to fry the latkes until they develop a golden brown color on both sides.
- Remove from pan with spatula and place on a paper towel, season with salt.
- Serve with salmon gravlox and horseradish sour cream.
Salmon Gravlox Ingredients:
- 1 Salmon Filet (skin on, no bones)
- 2 C salt
- 1 C sugar
- 1 bunch dill, chopped
- 2 oranges, sliced
- ¼ C pernod (optional)
- Place salmon on a sheet tray, with plastic wrap underneath it.
- Place oranges and dill over the salmon.
- Mix salt, sugar, and pernod in a bowl.
- Pour the mixture on top, completely covering the salmon.
- Wrap salmon in plastic wrap so that its air tight.
- Put in the fridge for two days.
- Remove from fridge discard all the salt, sugar, oranges, and dill.
- Rinse salmon under cold water, dry with paper towel.
- Thinly slice the salmon, leaving the skin behind.
Horseradish Sour Cream Ingredients:
- 1 pint sour cream
- ¼ lb. fresh horseradish (peeled, grated finely)
- 1 t black pepper, ground
- Peel horseradish and using a microplane finely grate it over a bowl.
- Mix the horseradish with sour cream, black pepper and salt.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.