DANBURY, Conn. -- Voters in Danbury will cast ballots Tuesday on a proposal for a $53.5 million expansion at Danbury High School.
The plan will include a 24-classroom wing that would be built on the back of the building to house the Freshman Academy for Danbury High, already the biggest high school in the state.
Research has shown that separating freshman from the rest of the student body highlights and improves the freshmen experience. The 110,000-square-foot academy would feature 24 classrooms exclusively for freshmen. It would be near the football field and baseball diamonds at the rear of the sprawling campus.
Here is the ballot question, with a voter casting either yes or no:
- Shall the $53,500,000 appropriation and bond authorization for planning, design, acquisition and construction of additions, renovations and improvements to Danbury High School be approved?
Danbury's polling places will be open from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. at the usual locations:
- Ward 1: Danbury High School Gym, 43 Clapboard Ridge Road, use Beckerle Street.
- Ward 2: Pembroke School Gym, 34 Pembroke Road (Route 37)
- Ward 3: Stadley Rough School Gym, 25 Karen Road
- Ward 4: Shelter Rock School Gym, 2 Crows Nest Lane
- Ward 5: Danbury War Memorial Gym, Memorial Drive
- Ward 6: Park Avenue School Gym, 82 Park Ave.
- Ward 7: Westside Middle School Academy, 1 School Ridge Road
If you don't know your ward, click here to find your voting location.
To see a sample ballot, click here.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.