DANBURY, Conn. -- The Regional YMCA of Western Connecticut in Brookfield and a greater Danbury coalition called Getting There have convened to raise interest in the importance of using human-powered legs when getting from one place to another.
The regional Y serves Danbury, Bethel, Brookfield, New Fairfield, Newtown and Sherman.
Communities in greater Danbury are holding the following events throughout May that encourage walking or biking in an effort to promote physical activity:
- Wednesday at 7:30 a.m.: Danbury Park Avenue School students will have a Walk To School Day, meeting Mayor Boughton at City Hall. Interested parent volunteers, contact Maria Vargas at Park Avenue School at 203-797-4763.
- Sunday, May 15, at 11 a.m.: Join the walk on the proposed multiuse Marjorie Trail to connect between Danbury and New Fairfield. For more information, email Peter Hearn at email@example.com.
- Wednesday, May 18, from 7-9 a.m. and 3-5 p.m.: Danbury Bike to Work Day. For more information, email Drew O’Connell at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Wednesday, May 18, at 6:45 p.m. for a 7 p.m. departure: Meet at Rogers Park on Memorial Drive, in front of Rogers Park Middle School. Route is 5 miles, fairly flat. Local event updates by clicking here.
- Friday, May 20, from 7-9 a.m.: Celebrate Bethel Bike to Work Day. Join co-workers and enjoy a bike ride to work. For more information, email email@example.com.
- Friday, May 20, from 8-9 a.m.: Join New Milford Mayor David Gronbach as he leads National Bike to Work Day from his house to the New Milford Town Hall. For more information, contact Tom O’Brien, chairman of the New Milford River Trail Association, at 203-770-2816 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sunday, May 29, at 1:30 p.m.: Join the Regional YMCA of Western Connecticut at the Brookfield Memorial Day Parade. Register ahead by contacting Maria Neufeld, youth program coordinator at 203-775-4444, ext. 109.
To join the Getting There coalition, contact Maureen Farrell at the Regional YMCA of Western Connecticut at 203-740-3432, ext. 236, or email email@example.com.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.