FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. — Traffic was building Wednesday afternoon on the major highways across Fairfield County as the Thanksgiving travel rush began.
The Connecticut Department of Transportation was reporting these major northbound backups as of about 3:15 p.m.:
- I-95 northbound is congested for 27 miles between Exit 2 in Greenwich and Exit 27.
- Merritt Parkway northbound is congested for 30 miles between Exit 28 in Greenwich and Exit 51 in Trumbull.
DOT reported these major problems southbound:
- I-95 southbound is congested for 4 miles between Exits 9 in Stamford and Exit 5 at the Greenwich-Stamford border.
- I-95 southbound has 4 miles of delays also from Exit 18 to 16 in the Norwalk-Westport area..
- The southbound Merritt has backups for 4 miles from Exit 52 to Exit 48 in Trumbull.
For drivers farther north, I-84 eastbound in Danbury is congested for 3.5 miles between Exits 4 and 7.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.