Drug Trafficker Busted In High-Speed I-95 Chase Gets 52 Months In Prison

BRIDGEPORT, Conn. — A man who crashed while leading police on a chase at speeds over 110 mph on I-95 last May after a drug buy was sentenced to 52 months in federal prison for drug trafficking, prosecutors said.

Antonio Freeland after his crash and arrest last May.

Antonio Freeland after his crash and arrest last May.

Photo Credit: Connecticut State Police
A total of 370 grams of cocaine found on the highway was seized after the crash.

A total of 370 grams of cocaine found on the highway was seized after the crash.

Photo Credit: Connecticut State Police
Michael Lundy

Michael Lundy

Photo Credit: Connecticut State Police

Antonio Freeland, also known as “Frezzie,” 27, of Burlington, N.C., was also sentenced Wednesday by U.S. District Judge Victor A. Bolden in Bridgeport to three years of supervised release.

According to court documents and statements made in court, this case stemmed from an investigation into a drug-trafficking organization led by Wilfredo Gutierrez, also known as “Bean” and “Big Pun,” and his brother, Bobby Gutierrez, also known as “B.O.” 

The investigation included court-authorized wiretaps, controlled purchases of narcotics and physical surveillance.

On three occasions last year, Freeland and Michael Lundy, of Raleigh, N.C., traveled to Connecticut to acquire large quantities of drugs, including heroin, cocaine and marijuana, from Bobby Gutierrez. On May 3, 2016, Freeland and Lundy drove to Connecticut with $13,000 in cash to buy drugs.

On May 4, 2016, Freeland and Lundy met Gutierrez at B&B Deli at 988 State St. in Bridgeport, which was owned by the Gutierrez family and served as a hub for their drug dealing. 

At 12:30 p.m., after Freeland and Lundy left B&B Deli, Connecticut State Police attempted to stop their vehicle on I-95 south in the vicinity of Exit 10 in Darien. 

Freeland engaged police in a high-speed chase that reached speeds in excess of 110 mph, weaving in and out of traffic and using the center median and right shoulder. 

At one point, Freeland's car sideswiped another car in the left lane. He took Exit 2 and slammed into the back of a minivan at a stop sign at the bottom of the exit. The car exploded in flames, and the minivan driver was sent to the hospital. 

Freeland and Lundy were then taken into custody. A search of the chase route turned a bag containing 370 grams of cocaine that had been thrown from the vehicle.

Related story: Man gets 15 years in prison for trafficking cocaine out of Bridgeport deli.

Law enforcement officers executed several federal search warrants on May 26 and May 27, 2016. A search of:

  • Bobby Gutierrez’s Stamford home turned up a quantity of cocaine, $25,916 in cash and other items used in trafficking narcotics. 
  • Gutierrez’s girlfriend’s home found $47,316 in cash, more than 3 kilograms of cocaine, and two firearms. 
  • B&B Deli revealed two digital scales, two large ziplock bags containing what appeared to be cutting agents, and five cellphones.

Freeland has been detained since his arrest. On Oct. 13, 2016, he pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to possess with intent to distribute cocaine.

Nine individuals were charged as a result of the investigation, and all pleaded guilty. 

On March 16, 2017, Wilfredo Gutierrez was sentenced to 180 months in prison. 

Lundy and Bobby Gutierrez are detained while awaiting sentencing.

to follow Daily Voice Bridgeport and receive free news updates.