Raised in Hollis, Okla. along the Texas border and near the bank of the Red River, Rollins spent the majority of his life surrounded by cattle. From helping his father manage a livestock operation to learning how to cook from his mother, Rollins' wilderness education spanned from farm to plate.
Inspired by the cowboy tradition of chuck wagon cooking, Rollins and his wife, Shannon, have brought a taste of the trail to the mainstream through their business, Red River Ranch Chuck Wagon Catering. Featured in programs such as Food Network’s Throwdown with Bobby Flay and CBS's Sunday Morning, the Oklahoma native has garnered nationwide praise for all things grilled and smoked.
This summer, Rollins is bringing his Red River flavor to the New York area thanks to a series of cooking demonstrations and tastings at Stew Leonard's locations across Connecticut, Westchester and Long Island. On what will be his third visit to Stew's, Rollins plans on showcasing his own spin on Stew's famous Naked® burgers. Aside from cooking over charcoal to create a smoky, nutty flavor, Rollins' recipe calls for seasoning the grass-fed beef with his own Red River Ranch Original Seasoning, adding an extra kick to the already tender beef. Complimentary samples will be available for all shoppers.
Rollins' first cookbook, "A Taste of Cowboy," which features 90 recipes and full-color food and landscape photography, will also be on sale during the demonstrations, and his Red River Ranch Original Seasoning will be available for purchase.
Rollins will be on site at the following Stew Leonard's locations:
- Friday, June 30 from 2 p.m. – 6 p.m. Stew Leonard’s, 3475 Berlin Turnpike, Newington, Conn.
- Saturday, July 1 from 11 a.m. – 5 p.m. Stew Leonard’s, 99 Federal Road, Danbury, Conn.
- Sunday, July 2 from 11 a.m. – 5 p.m. Stew Leonard’s, 100 Westport Ave., Norwalk, Conn.
- Monday, July 3 from 11 a.m. – 5 p.m. Stew Leonard’s, 261 Airport Plaza, Farmingdale, N.Y.
- Tuesday, July 4 from Noon – 4 p.m. Stew Leonard’s, 1 Stew Leonard Drive, Yonkers, N.Y.