A third man is facing charges for his role in stealing high-end luxury vehicles on Long Island, police said.
An investigation into a rash of stolen vehicles was launched by the Nassau County Police Department in August after an Audi was reported stolen in Garden City Park.
The investigation determined that three suspects were responsible for the thefts, and two of those suspects have been arrested for their roles in the spree.
In September, the investigation led to the arrests of Queens residents Jorge Alvarez, 18 and Matthew Garcia, 21, who were arrested in Queens on Wednesday, Sept. 25.
On Friday, Oct. 11, Nassau County Police arrested the third suspect, Elmhurst resident Derby Collaguazo, who was charged with three counts of second-degree grand larceny, three counts of third-degree grand larceny, and four counts of fourth-degree grand larceny.
Collaguazo is scheduled to be arraigned at First District Court in Hempstead on Friday.
According to police, the trio is accused of stealing high-end vehicles and car parts on eight different instances:
- Between 9 p.m. on Monday, Aug. 26 and 6:50 a.m. on Tuesday, Aug. 27, a 2017 Audi A4 was stolen from Stratford Road in Garden City Park;
- Between 6:45 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 20 and 9:10 a.m. on Saturday, Sept. 21, a Mercedes GS450 was stolen on Mimosa Drive in East Hills;
- Between 9 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 20 and 11:53 a.m. on Saturday, Sept. 21, a 2016 Audi was stolen on Poplar Drive in East Hills;
- At approximately 2:56 a.m. on Saturday, Sept. 21, a Mercedes and Cadillac Escalade was stolen from Sycamore Drive in East Hills;
- Between 6 p.m. on Sunday, Sept. 22 and 6:45 a.m. on Monday, Sept. 23, a 2018 Lexus RX 350 was stolen from The Pines in Old Westbury;
- At approximately 3 a.m. on Monday, Sept. 23, a 2019 Infiniti QX60 and a 2019 Chevrolet Corvette were stolen from The Pines in Old Westbury;
- Between 8 p.m. and 1:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Sept. 24, a 2019 BMW 330 CI was stolen from Abby Lane in Syosset;
- At approximately 3 a.m., assorted merchandise was stolen from a garage at a residence on Chestnut Lane in Woodbury.
Garcia was charged with two counts of second-degree burglary, five counts of fourth-degree grand larceny, four counts of third-degree grand larceny and seven counts of second-degree grand larceny.
Alvarez was charged with second-degree burglary, two counts of second-degree grand larceny and three counts of third-degree grand larceny.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.