A 39-year-old man is accused of trying to kill his 82-year-old mother, who he shares a home with on Long Island.
The incident happened around 3 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 1.
According to Nassau County Police detectives, an 82-year-old victim entered her residence that she shares with her son, Anil Khandpur.
Khandpur grabbed the victim, dragged her to the top of the basement stairs and attempted to throw her down, according to police.
The victim was able to kick herself free but was again assaulted by Khandpur, who bit her on the cheek, causing a laceration and substantial pain, police said.
The victim then barricaded herself in a bedroom for several hours. Upon exiting the bedroom, Anil Khandpur assaulted the victim, punching her multiple times in the head, causing substantial pain, said police. The victim was able to flee the residence and call 911.
Upon police arrival, Khandpur was placed under arrest without incident and charged with:
- second-degree attempted murder;
- three counts of first-degree criminal contempt;
- criminal obstruction of breathing;
- first-degree unlawful Imprisonment;
- fourth-degree criminal mischief
- three counts of second-degree assault;
- aggravated criminal contempt
- aggravated family offense.
He will be arraigned on Saturday, Nov. 2 at First District Court in Hempstead.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.