Contact Us
Southwest Dutchess Daily Voice serves Beacon, East Fishkill, Fishkill, LaGrange, Poughkeepsie, Wappinger & Wappingers Falls
Return to your home site

Menu

Southwest Dutchess Daily Voice serves Beacon, East Fishkill, Fishkill, LaGrange, Poughkeepsie, Wappinger & Wappingers Falls

Nearby Sites

  • North Orange
    serves Crawford, Hamptonburgh, Middletown, Montgomery, New Windsor, Newburgh & Wallkill
  • West Orange
    serves Deerpark, Greenville, Middletown, Minisink, Mount Hope, Port Jervis & Wawayanda
  • South Orange
    serves Blooming Grove, Chester, Cornwall, Goshen, Highlands, Monroe, Tuxedo, Warwick & Woodbury
  • Putnam
    serves Brewster, Carmel-Kent, Cold Spring, Mahopac, Patterson & Putnam Valley
  • Ulster Sullivan
    serves Fallsburg, Kingston, Liberty, Mamakating, Monticello, New Paltz, Saugerties, Thompson, Ulster & Wawarsing
  • East Dutchess
    serves Amenia, Beekman, Dover, Millbrook, North East, Pawling, Pine Plains, Stanford, Union Vale & Washington
  • Northwest Dutchess
    serves Clinton, Hyde Park, Milan, Pleasant Valley, Red Hook & Rhinebeck
News

Fishkill Rural Cemetery Commemorates 150 Years Of Service

The Fishkill Cemetery celebrated its 150th anniversary on Saturday.
The Fishkill Cemetery celebrated its 150th anniversary on Saturday. Photo Credit: Contributed

FISHKILL, N.Y. -- Fishkill Rural Cemetery dedicated a new historic marker and conducted ceremonies to mark its 150th anniversary Saturday.

Wreaths were placed on the graves of the primary founder, James Van Steenbergh, and Dr. Lewis H. White, the board of trustees’ first president.

The wreath-laying was followed by the dedication of a new historic marker denoting the cemetery’s century and a half of service to the community.

Blodgett Library Local History Librarian Antonia Houston presented “The First Families of Fishkill,” a short program commemorating the lives of the first plot owners, in the historic DuBois Chapel.

The cemetery was first dedicated on Oct. 17, 1866. More than 3,000 people attended the original ceremonies. Approximately 20,000 residents have been buried in the cemetery since it was established.

The facilities are located at 801 U.S. 9.

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.