The man accused of killing his girlfriend and abducting his 6-year-old daughter Friday, leading to a multi-state Amber Alert, had been deported to his native El Salvador in 2013, Federal authorities said.
It is unclear how 39-year-old Oscar Hernandez, who was thrown out of the U.S. after reportedly being convicted of assaulting a former girlfriend in Stamford, got back into the country.
Aylin Sofia Hernandez, 6, was found safe just before midday Friday in State College, Pa., but did suffer minor injuries following the abduction, which occurred around 2:45 a.m. Friday after Hernandez allegedly stabbed 26-year-old Nidia Gonzalez to death in Bridgeport, Conn. Gonzalez also suffered minor injuries and was taken to the hospital to be treated along with his daughter, police said.
"Oscar Obedio Hernandez, a citizen of El Salvador, was issued a Final Order of Removal by an immigration judge on Oct. 29, 2013," U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement said in a statement. "He was removed from the United States by ICE officers in Hartford, CT on Nov. 27, 2013. He has prior felony convictions from 2002 for assault and threatening, as well as several misdemeanor convictions. ICE has placed an immigration detainer with the Bridgeport (Connecticut) Police Department."
The detainer means Hernandez will again be deported by ICE after criminal charges are resolved in the U.S.
The Amber Alert that had been activated early Friday morning included Westchester, Putnam, Rockland, Dutchess and New York City as well as Columbia, Greene, Orange, Sullivan and Ulster in southern New York as well as Connecticut.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.