Scarsdale native and former South Salem resident Robert Durst, the suspected serial killer and millionaire real estate heir, has pleaded not guilty in the 2000 execution-style killing of Susan Berman, a Los Angeles writer, according to multiple reports.
For years, law enforcement officials have suspected Durst in a number of crimes, including the disappearance of his first wife in 1982, the murder of Berman, and in the 2003 murder of his Texas neighbor.
Now 73-years-old, Durst was never charged in the case of his missing first wife from their South Salem home and was found not guilty in the murder of his neighbor, even after he confessed to cutting up his body after killing him, added the LA Times.
On Monday, Durst, in a wheelchair with a neck brace, appeared before a judge and pleaded not guilty in the murder of Berman, adding that he had nothing to do with the slaying, said the Los Angeles Times.
Prosecutors believe he killed Berman, a writer whose father was a famous Las Vegas mafia figure, because she witnessed a crime.
At the end of Monday's hearing, Durst was remanded to jail until his trial. His attorney's said the aging millionaire has been dealing with medical issues including recovering from spinal fusion surgery, added the LA Times.
He was arrested for Berman's death last year after FBI agents found him at a New Orleans hotel with a gun and marijuana. He was sentenced there to seven years and a month on weapons charges with the understanding that he would be transferred to California to stand trial in Berman's death, said the Los Angeles Times.
Click here to read the Los Angeles Times story.
Click here to follow Daily Voice Scarsdale and receive free news updates.