It’s summer, which means time for sun, fun and vacations! With all the prepping, planning and packing, it's easy to miss one very important thing: ensuring your home is protected from water damage.
Water is high on our list of things that go bump in the night. People underestimate the power water has to wreak havoc on your home. Water damage makes up 45 percent of all interior property damage. That is more than damage caused by fire or burglary.
That is the bad news. The good news is that 93 percent of all water damage is preventable. In fact, your plumbing supply system is the No. 1 cause of non-weather water loss. Below are a few tips to help you safeguard your home and to help keep your home dry while you are away:
• Do a little mini inspection of your water/waste lines to make sure the hoses are in good condition and without leaks or cracks. If you see any issues, call in a plumber for help.
• Take a look at the area surrounding your water heater. If you notice any puddles, call a plumber.
• Inspect any appliances that use water to operate such as washing machines, dishwashers and refrigerators, to be sure there are no leaks. It is a good idea to replace supply hoses periodically.
• Try shutting off the water supply line valves (next to your toilets) to be sure they are still mobile. Hard water can sometimes freeze pipes so it is important not to force things if you can’t get them to budge. If there are issues, call in a professional to have them replaced.
• If you are going to be away for more than a week, shut off your main water valve before you leave. When you return, be sure to turn it on slowly so you don’t overwhelm your system.
• Even when you take the above precautions, a water leak can still occur. That is why smart technology that monitors your home for leaks is invaluable. Invest in whole-house water control technology. Both sensor based systems and flow based systems will give you peace of mind so that your vacation can be worry free!
If you have concerns about protecting your home from water damage, Advocate Brokerage would be happy to talk with you about the discounts you may qualify for when you install a whole-house water shut-off system. To learn more, call 914-723-7100.