CARMEL, N.Y. -- New York's second oldest county courthouse, located on Rt. 52 overlooking Lake Gleneida in Carmel, recently underwent much needed repairs.
On Nov. 14, the Putnam Highway Department repaired the pillars, which were added to the courthouse during a renovation in 1847.
The Putnam County Courthouse dates to 1814, with the first court session held Feb. 15, 1815, according to the Putnam County website. The building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.
It was built by James Townsend, who incorporated locally forged ironwork in the construction, which also included a jail.
The courthouse was expanded in 1847, which saw the addition of the architecturally-significant columns. A 1855 renovation brought the construction of another jail, according to the Putnam County website.
The jails closed in 1977 and the courthouse closed in 1988 for six years of repairs. It reopened June 10, 1994.
A more modern facility was constructed in 2008. The historic courthouse is still in use for the Surrogate Court and the Putnam County Legislature.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.