SCARSDALE, N.Y. -- According to Advocate Brokerage, a person is killed by a drunk driver every 53 minutes. With a statistic like that you would think that adults, who know better, would not risk getting behind the wheel after having a drink or two, but unfortunately that's not always the case.
Part of the issue is that many adult drivers think that because of their driving experience, they can handle operating a vehicle after a few drinks. This is especially true for males who are three times more likely to get behind the wheel after drinking.
Making the decision to drive after a few drinks can not only affect you or the lives of strangers though, it can also put your family at risk. Of the 209 alcohol related driving deaths of children 14 and under, OVER HALF were riding in the vehicle with the impaired driver. That's just one reason why Advocate Brokerage wants to ensure driver safety before anyone gets on the road.
Advocate Tips for ALL drivers:
- Don't drive after drinking! Driving after you have had a drink simply is not worth the risk.
- If you plan on drinking, arrange for other transportation, find a designated driver, call a cab or take advantage of services like UBER. There's really NO reason to drive after drinking.
- Don’t let friends or family members drive after drinking.
- Don’t serve alcohol to minors. You could be held liable if they are involved in an accident.
- Drinking can lead to bad decision making which can spiral out of control, so always drink in moderation.
Advocate Brokerage wants you to stay safe, so given the risks of drinking and driving, just don’t do it! That one bad choice can destroy your family, your reputation or even your life. For more helpful tips from Advocate Brokerage, visit their website.