Support Pours In For Victim Run Down By ATV At Baseball Field In Yorktown

Hundreds of people have lent their generosity to a man who suffered grievous injuries after being run over by an all-terrain vehicle at a baseball field in Northern Westchester, leaving him barely able to walk his daughter down the aisle at her wedding. 

Yorktown resident Ed Moffett was severely injured after he was run over by an ATV at a baseball field.
Yorktown resident Ed Moffett was severely injured after he was run over by an ATV at a baseball field. Photo Credit: Courtesy of GoFundMe "Help Ed and his family through trying times"

Yorktown resident Ed Moffett faces a long recovery process after being run over by an ATV in an incident that happened on Sunday, Aug. 27 in Yorktown at a baseball field at 2406 Hunterbrook Rd. 

According to Yorktown Police, on the day of the incident around 2:45 p.m., officers responded to the field on a report of a man being hit by an ATV and being rendered unconscious as a result. 

Officers soon found Moffett with a severe leg injury and wounds to his head and chest. He was then taken to Westchester Medical Center by Advanced Life Support.

The day after the crash, on Monday, Aug. 28, 21-year-old Yorktown resident Kyle Frankild was arrested on a first-degree assault charge and accused of intentionally running Moffett down with his ATV, Yorktown Police said. 

Now, in the aftermath of the incident, Moffett has been left with two broken ribs, a traumatic brain injury, and a double compound fracture in his leg, according to Yorktown resident Basil Kazepis, who organized a GoFundMe fundraiser page to raise money for Moffett's medical bills. 

According to Kazepis, Moffett had been minutes away from bleeding to death when he was found by first responders and was rescued when they applied a tourniquet to his leg. He later underwent emergency surgery to reconstruct his leg, Kazepis added. 

"Ed has a long road of rehabilitation ahead of him and he is unable to work his full-time job for the next few months at a minimum while he heals and learns to walk again," Kazepis wrote on the fundraiser page, adding that the alleged attack happened a week before Moffett was supposed to attend his daughter's wedding. 

Luckily, with the help of a wheelchair, a walker, and a good samaritan who bought him two first-class tickets on a flight to Texas, Moffett was able to attend the wedding and walk his daughter down the aisle. 

Now that Moffett is back home though, his long rehabilitation journey begins again. However, thanks to the help of numerous community members, he will not have to pay for it alone. 

"Any money will help Ed and his wife through this difficult period of time," Kazepis wrote on the fundraiser page. 

Anyone interested in contributing to the fundraiser can do so by clicking here. 

This continues to be a developing story. Check back to Daily Voice for updates. 

to follow Daily Voice Peekskill and receive free news updates.