PEEKSKILL, N.Y. - An overnight fire Thursday in a multi-family house on Homestead Avenue displaced as many as 20 people, according to Peekskill Fire Chief Lenny Varella.
"It was late, but it wasn't super late," Varella said. "People picked up on it right away and everyone got out of the house." Varella said the fire, which affected the bathroom and kitchen of a third-floor apartment, caused no injuries but produced heavy smoke outside of the building at 602 Homestead Ave.
The call came in around 11:15 p.m., said Varella, and the Peekskill Fire Department had the fire under control in about 25 minutes.
Officials believe the fire was caused by an electrical problem in a combination exhaust fan-light fixture in the bathroom.
Although smoke and fire damage was limited to the third floor apartment, there was water damage to all three floors.
Varella said the building will have to remain unoccupied until the electrical system is evaluated and professional cleaners are called.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.