Contact Us
Ossining Daily Voice serves Ossining, NY
Return to your home site


Ossining Daily Voice serves Ossining, NY

Nearby Sites


Signs Of Irene Gone In Ossining One Year Later

OSSINING, N.Y. – A year ago, Hurricane Irene brought in strong winds and torrential rain, but Ossining officials say the days following the storm were worse for the area than the storm itself and things could have gone a lot worse.

Irene had weakened to tropical storm status when it hit New York on Aug. 28, 2011, and caused relatively little damage in Ossining. In the Village of Ossining, the storm cut power to about 20 homes, downed several trees and flooded the Metro-North Railroad station and the Arcadian Shopping Center. The storm severely damaged some areas of the waterfront, including Ossining’s Boathouse Restaurant. In the year following the storm, village officials say they have had to spend nearly $350,000 to repair roads, sewer systems and damage from flooding.

“It can always be worse, but we did have a major sanitary failure on Hunter Street,” Ossining Village Manager Richard Leins said Friday. “It was a major break that took about two weeks to address. We incurred some significant expenses associated with Irene, but that was mainly due to picking up debris and materials in the streets.”

Leins said the Federal Emergency Management Agency has reimbursed the village for about $125,000, and an agreement has been made for FEMA to reimburse the rest of the costs associated with the storm.

“FEMA has been extremely cooperative, and we really appreciate their help in taking care of some of the village’s losses during the storm,” Leins said, adding that he is confident the village will be prepared for any significant storms in the future. “We have the best people working here. We hope that there wouldn’t be a repeat of this, obviously, but with our old infrastructure and fluke storms there are no guarantees.”

Ossining Town Supervisor Susanne Donnelly said the town and village were fortunate to not have any major incidents during the storm.

“It didn’t hit us too bad, actually,” Donnelly said Friday. “We had some difficulties with cleanup, but what did get us was the days following the storm.”

Donnelly estimated that the town incurred about $100,000 in expenses, all of which she expects will eventually be reimbursed by FEMA.

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.