Jon CraigContent Producer email@example.com
Pleasantville native Jon Craig is special editor for the Westchester, Putnam, Rockland, Orange and Dutchess Daily Voice sites. He is also the primary reporter for Daily Voice Plus Politics in Westchester and Fairfield.
Jon graduated from Cornell University and received his master's degree in journalism from Northwestern University. Across a 35-year career, he's worked as a reporter for daily newspapers in Chicago, New York, Ohio & Washington, D.C and as managing editor for weekly newspapers in Rye, White Plains and Harrison.
Jon also writes periodically for the Cornell Chronicle.
- -- Covered Metro-North train wreck that killed a motorist and five commuters, 2015
- -- Researched state investigative project for PublicIntegrity.org, 2011-12
- -- National MADD award for database analysis of repeat drunk drivers in Ohio, 2008.
- -- Henry F. Guggenheim Fellow, John Jay College of Criminal Justice, 2010.
- -- Sentenced to jail for protecting confidential sources (won on appeal), 1999.
- -- Broke 30th anniversary story about Kent State shootings — using FBI records, resurrecting theory a student informant triggered fatal National Guard volley, May 2000.
- -- Covered Ground Zero after Sept. 11, 2001, terrorism attacks.
- -- Uncovered voting problems before & during presidential recount in Ohio, 2004.
- -- Witnessed botched Death Row execution of Romell Broom in 2009, one of more than a dozen I covered; Wrote about three inmates whose death sentences were commuted to life without parole.
- -- Won IRE, SDX and multiple national & state awards for series led by Erik Kriss investigating New York General Assembly. 1994.
- -- Guest lecturer at universities in NY & Ohio. Taught Syracuse high school journalism class.
- -- Co-authored IRE-award winning series on illegal restraints/beatings at juvenile detention centers. Gov. Mario Cuomo had NY inspector general confirm what Hart Seely and I found at Division for Youth & fired top directors, 1993.
- -- Survived Air Force Kool School training at North Pole, 1996.
- -- Covered Persian Gulf wars, including 2002 bomb missions from Turkey, and stateside Army/Air Guard training. 1991.
- -- Supervised overnight coverage of Pan Am Flight 103 after Libyan bomb killed 35 Syracuse University students over Lockerbie, Scotland, 1988.
- -- Covered aftermath of John F. Kennedy Jr.'s fatal plane crash from Cape Cod, 1999.
- -- Greeted Kurt Vonnegut Jr. as Cornell Sun sports editor during daily's 100th anniversary dinner in May 1980.