ORANGETOWN, N.Y. -- The Orangetown Police Department is offering tips for a safe Hanukkah.
Menorah safety guidelines:
- Many "arts and crafts" Hanukkah lamps, made by children are not suitable for lighting.
- Place the lamp on a sturdy surface made of nonflammable material such as marble, glass or metal.
- Place the Hanukkah candles only inside the Hanukkah lamp or candlesticks made of nonflammable material.
- Do not place the Hanukkah lamp near or under any flammable material such as curtains or books.
- Do not place the Hanukkah lamp in a location where it can be knocked over - either by a passing person or the wind, or where something can fall on it.
- Keep matches and lit objects away from children.
- Make sure your pet cannot reach the Hanukkah lamp.
- Never leave a lit Hanukkah lamp unattended.
Safety guidelines for frying holiday foods:
- When frying, it is important to keep children away from the stove and other cooking elements. Try to use the further burners so children cannot reach the flames.
- In the event of a large grease flame or grease fire, do not use water to put it out! Smother the flames with damp towels.
In the event of a burn, follow these steps:
- Move the injured person away from the flames and heat source.
- If someone's clothing catches fire, role him on the ground and smother the flames with a blanket or towel.
- Call an ambulance immediately.
- Do not pull off clothing that has stuck to injured skin; cut the clothing around the injured area instead.
- Pour tepid water on the injury for at least five minutes. Do not use cold water, ice or creams.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.