The massive Tappan Zee Bridge project marked another milestone this week with the final installation of structural steel girders for the new bridge’s Westchester landing in Tarrytown.
The assemblies will connect the future westbound span’s on-land abutment to the first offshore support pier in the Hudson River, the New York State Thruway Authority said.
Tappan Zee Constructors installed the girders by literally pushing them west over the Metro-North Railroad Hudson Line’s tracks toward the first pier in the river.
8. The authority said it expects that particular entire operation to conclude by the end of the year.
Metro-North has adjusted its schedule to allow work to be completed.
TZC workers suspend construction when commuter trains are passing through the area, and resume when given the “all clear” by Metro-North.
Meanwhile, ongoing work on an all-electronic toll collection system will require the overnight closures of some of the highway’s ramps and lanes this week.
The ongoing project will require the overnight closures of two lanes of the southbound New York State Thruway (I-87/I-287) from Monday, Dec. 21 through Wednesday, Dec. 23.
For real-time information on traffic conditions, click here.
Additional work includes:
- Tower construction: Construction will continue on the new bridge's iconic towers, which will eventually rise 419 feet above the river. Eight towers will be constructed on the project's football-field-long main span pile caps over the coming year.
- Noise barriers: Next week will see continued construction of foundations for noise barriers along the southbound Thruway between the South Broadway bridge and River Road in South Nyack. The construction work involves drilling holes into the soil to install the foundations. After the foundations are installed, concrete panels that form the noise barriers will be installed.
- Support for river-based work from the Rockland trestle.
- Rockland landing retaining walls.
- Survey inspections on the existing bridge.
- Westchester landings utility work.
- Girder assembly placement.
- Bridge road deck installation.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.