In fact, its namesake park, which has the piece of machinery, will play host to a celebration Sunday.
At one time, over 1,300 people worked at the paper mill. At noon, there will be an unveiling of a memorial plaque honoring those workers.
The Piermont Civic Association, Piermont Chamber of Commerce and Piermont Historical Society organized this event with approval from the Piermont village Board of Trustees for the DPW installation work.
The history of the flywheel dates back to 1901 when Martin R. Williams erected the first paper mill in the village. (Transportation of supplies in and out of the village were already supplied by the Erie Railroad, which was constructed in 1840.)
The following year the Piermont Paper Co. began producing cardboard and did so for 18 years until it's principal customer, Robert Gair, bought the mill.
Gair had become a leader in the paper industry in Manhattan and Brooklyn following the Civil War and introduced the world's first affordable cardboard box.
Over time the paper mill and box factory became Gair's largest such facility, employing 1,300 people. But it closed in 1982. The facility sat vacant and was eventually torn down.
But during the demolition process to clear way for the present-day Piermont Landing, crews struggled to remove the Flywheel; even a wrecking ball bounced off it. Therefore, it remains in the park that bears it's name.
Click here to follow Daily Voice Orangetown and receive free news updates.