A former deli owner will spend years behind bars after conspiring with a man from Westchester to burn down a competitor’s store.
Redhwan Saleh has been sentenced to 63 months in prison for his participation in arson in the Bronx. He was convicted earlier this year following a four-day trial, U.S. Attorney Geoffrey Berman said.
According to Berman, Saleh owned a deli near the intersection of 242nd Street and Broadway in the Riverdale section of the Bronx. When Saleh learned that a competing deli was set to open a few stores down, Saleh paid three men - including New Rochelle resident Antoine Bostick, to set the new deli on fire.
On Sept. 11, 2016, a few weeks before the deli opened, Bostic climbed onto the roof of the new deli, poured gasoline down a vent pipe and lit the gas on fire. The new deli and a neighboring store both “suffered extensive fire damage and the new deli’s opening was substantially delayed.”
In addition to his prison term, Saleh, 38, of Brooklyn, was sentenced to three years of supervised release and was ordered to pay $50,000 in restitution.
Bostick, 32, was convicted of conspiracy to commit arson and was sentenced earlier this year to 50 months in prison and ordered to pay $50,000.
Berman noted that in addition to Saleh and Bostick, two others have been convicted for their roles in the arson. Arthur Cherry pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit arson and was sentenced to time served and three years of supervised release. Richard Sanchez pleaded guilty to the same charge and was sentenced to 28 months in prison and three years of supervised release. Both were also ordered to pay $50,000 restitution.
“Today, New York City deli owner Redhwan Saleh learned that his attempt to burn down his competition – literally – comes at a steep price: more than five years in prison,” the U.S. Attorney said.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.