A 45-year-old man who was apprehended after throwing a brick through the glass doors of a Long Island business has now been charged in connection to six other burglaries, Nassau County Police said.
According to detectives, Thomas Briel, 45, did throw a brick through the glass doors of Twisted Smoke Shop, located at 347 Merrick Ave. in East Meadow in order to gain access inside and removed multiple boxes of cigarettes before fleeing.
Upon police arrival, a review of the store's security camera allowed for a description of the subject and Thomas Briel, who is homeless, was located in Hempstead a short time later and placed under arrest at about 12:40 a.m. Sunday, July 21.
Upon further investigation, Briel was found to be responsible for six additional burglaries that had all occurred in Hempstead, the dates and locations of the offenses are:
- July 2 - Family Dollar Store - 215 Front St.
- July 4 – Family Dollar Store - 80 Clinton St.
- July 5 – Family Dollar Store - 80 Clinton St.
- July 7 – Family Dollar Store - 80 Clinton St.
- July 10 – Main Street Mini Mart - 28 Main St.
- July 20 – Family Dollar Store - 80 Clinton St.
Briel has been charged with seven counts of third-degree burglary. He is due to be arraigned on Monday, July 22 at First District Court, 99 Main Street, Hempstead.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.