A 57-year-old man is facing more than two dozen counts of grand larceny charges following a string of incidents targeting elderly women shopping at stores, Nassau County Police said.
The incidents occurred over the last six months. The suspect was apprehended on Friday, Aug. 9 in Rockaway Beach.
The victims' purses/credit cards were taken from their shopping carts while they were distracted looking at store products, police said.
The suspect would then leave the store and immediately make as many purchases as possible before the credit cards were canceled. The time and locations are the following:
- March 14 – Best Market - 40 Great Neck Rd., Great Neck Plaza
- May 25 – ShopRite – 2335 New Hyde Park Rd., N. New Hyde Park
- June 26 – Best Market – 40 Great Neck Rd., Great Neck Plaza
- July 6 – Stop & Shop – 95 Old Country Rd., Carle Place
- July 12 – Best Market – 40 Great Neck Rd., Great Neck Plaza
After an investigation, the suspect was able to be identified from security cameras as Frank Rodriquez, of Rockaway Beach in Queens and was arrested by police at his apartment.
Rodriquez has been charged with 25 counts of grand larceny and four counts of identity theft. He was arraigned on Saturday, Aug. 10 at First District Court, 99 Main Street, Hempstead.
If anyone believes they may have been a victim of Defendant Frank Rodriquez, you are requested to contact Third Squad detectives at (516) 573-6353.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.