Map Interactive local COVID-19 tracker
Contact Us
Nassau Daily Voice serves Glen Cove, Hempstead, Long Beach, North Hempstead & Oyster Bay
Return to your home site


Nassau Daily Voice serves Glen Cove, Hempstead, Long Beach, North Hempstead & Oyster Bay

Nearby Towns

  • Suffolk
    serves Babylon, Brookhaven, Huntington, Islip, North Fork, Riverhead, Smithtown & The Hamptons

COVID-19: Former College Lacrosse All-American, 26, Discharged From Hospital

Jack Allard with his girlfriend, Mikaela Bradley (left), and sister, Katie. Photo Credit: Courtesy of Allard family
Jack Allard of Metuchen with his father, Andy. Photo Credit: Courtesy of Allard family

A 26-year-old novel coronavirus (COVID-19) patient and former college lacrosse star in New England whose mother's quest to get him an experimental drug went viral was discharged from a Philadelphia hospital Thursday night.

Facebook video of Jack Allard of Metuchen, New Jersey being applauded by doctors and nurses as he's released from the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania was posted widely, including here. The video ends with Jack hugging his parents from Ridgewood, New Jersey.

Allard was taken off a ventilator and able to take sips of water last weekend.

In an earlier interview with Daily Voice, Jack's mother, Genny Allard, said she hoped doctors would treat her son with remdesivir, a drug currently in worldwide clinical trials amid claims by patients that it can alleviate severe COVID-19 symptoms.

The story of the former All-America attackman at Bates College in Maine touched many who contacted Daily Voice seeking updates on his progress.

Jack Allard, far right, with his father Andy, sister Katie and mother Genny.

Courtesy of Allard family

Her son remained stable on a ventilator after a medical chopper flew him to the UPenn hospital on March 24, Allard said. 

Prior to his hospitalization on March 16, Jack was in excellent health with no underlying medical conditions, according to his mother, who teaches at Bergen County Technical High School. 

He fell ill on March 13 after returning home from his equities analyst job with Bank of America in Manhattan, then admitted to JFK Hospital in Edison and placed into a medically-induced coma after his symptoms quickly worsened, she said.

A lab misplaced Jack's initial COVID-19 test, so the 2012 Ridgewood (NJ) High School graduate had to be re-swabbed, she said.

"My son is deteriorating," Genny Allard at that time told Daily Voice in her first interview. "He's in regulatory limbo."

US Lacrosse reporting on Allard's recovery and release can be found by clicking here. 

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Nassau Daily Voice!

Serves Glen Cove, Hempstead, Long Beach, North Hempstead & Oyster Bay

Hi! You've read our articles so we know you like our reporting. To keep reading please join our mailing list.

Get important news about your town as it happens.