The incident began on Monday, May 29 just before 1:45 p.m., when firefighters were dispatched to a home in Port Chester on West William Street that had caught on fire, according to the Port Chester Fire Department.
Once they arrived at the scene, firefighters found heavy flames coming from the rear of the residence and entered through the front door to search for any occupants. Luckily, the search proved to be negative and no one was found trapped inside.
Because fire conditions began to rapidly deteriorate and crews began showing signs of exhaustion, a second alarm was transmitted. Around this time, a mayday was also transmitted by crews on the building's roof because of structurally compromised components.
As a result of quick action from West Harrison firefighters though, the hazardous situation was made safe, authorities said.
After an hour and a half, the fire was eventually brought under control. Two firefighters sustained injuries during the effort to put the blaze out and were hospitalized.
The cause of the blaze was later discovered to be an air conditioning unit by the Westchester County Cause and Origin Team.
Click here to follow Daily Voice Mount Pleasant and receive free news updates.